“Yes, my eye surgery was great. But more important to me was the card I received at home while I was recovering. It had hand written messages from each of my surgical team members. And they each signed it. They brought the humanity back into my care. They really do care about me.”
A patient shared this with me as we both sat in the lobby of a large hospital.
And yes, he is spot on … bringing “humanity back into care” is essential to achieve the quadruple aim. Essential to honor our healthcare missions as we live our values.
When we combine the science of medicine with the heart of medicine we …
* engage one another as people (humanity)
* share compassion and empathy
* ensure optimal safety, quality and clinical outcomes
* heal as our patients and families heal
* evolve healthcare to healthCARING
When we combine the science of medicine with the heart of medicine we … LOVE.
When we combine the science of medicine with the heart of medicine we … IMPACT.